Sunday, June 17, 2012

D.I.Y. Laundry Soap

As requested via Facebook!
I first found this lovely recipe over at LizMarieBlog,
And have since wanted to try it!
Last Wednesday I went by my local Wal-Mart to pick up stuff to make my own Laundry Detergent.
All the ingredients shown you can purchase for under 15 dollars!
Which doesn't sound like much of a deal now but it makes 2 gallons worth of soap,
the best part? You only need 2 table spoons.
This stuff is going to be a major money savor!
I don't know about you all but we go through A LOT of Laundry Soap in this household.
In large parts due to my husbands job,
I am not a fan of the smell of Jet Fuel haha!

This is what you will need:


All of these products can be found at Walmart.
Even that realllllllllly cute container ;)

Ingredients:
  1. Oxi Clean {One large container, One small}
  2. Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  3. Borax
  4. Three Fels-Naptha Laundry Soap Bars (You can use any kind of soap you want here}
  5.  & Pure Baking Soda
  6. This part is optional but if you would like a certain scent you can add fabric softener to get any desired smell :)

What you will need:
  1. A cheese grader
  2. A large bucket
  3. A large bowl


This was actually really easy to make.
The hardest part was grading the bars of soap with a cheese grader.
That is when your handy dandy husband/significant other comes into play!




As you can see above, you just grate the soap like you would cheese and if it weren't for the smell of laundry you would actually think it is cheese haha!

Then grab your big bucket;


Take all the products I showed you above & dump them into the bucket.
Including your freshly graded laundry soap.
& then mix it all up!

YUP!
That is it!

I found this cute little container in the kitchen gadgets isle/canning isle at my Walmart.
& that little blue scooper is actually an Oxi Clean one which comes with the big container of the Oxi  Clean listed above.

I have used this for a few loads and it works just like any other laundry soap! Except you use way less.
Only 2 tablespoons! {or to the second line of the scooper}

I also wanted to let you guys know that this is perfect if you have sensitive skin, I do and it hasn't bothered me at all! I bought the Oxi Clean for sensitive skin {the green lid}
& this also works for HE washers.



I love how cute it looks though!
HA! I just called Laundry cute.


Here is a close up on what the mixture looks like.


If you have any questions feel free to comment or email me.
JordynPruitt@gmail.com

Try this and let me know what you think!! 
I am so excited I finally did it!
People have said before that this has lasted them up to a year!
Now you want to try it huh ;)

And Happy Fathers day! 
I hope you all have amazing plans with your dad.
I wish I was home to spend it with mine,
but that's military life for ya.
Have a great day and go do something fun!

xoxo
Jordynluise


4 comments:

  1. I may need to try this! Trying to save as much mula as possible!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seriously works so good! Do it! I am so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will as soon as Im outta laundry det. I went on a couponing extravaganza and ended up getting 50 ld bottles for 90 cents a piece so I stocked couldnt beat it! but once that runs out for sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a little concerned about the grated soap part, is it really necessary?

    ReplyDelete